Cherry varieties Zagoryevskaya and Zagoryevskaya 2
When the measured heat is replaced by sultry summer days, cherries ripen in the garden. Luscious ruby berries, sparkling among the foliage, give their scent to everyone who is nearby. The hand itself reaches out to pick sweet cherries from the tree. And at this moment there is no greater pleasure than to feel the fruit juice explosion in your mouth. But there are unimaginable varieties of cherries. Even if we set out to taste a handful of each variety of berries, it will take us several years. But there are a number of cherry varieties, among which there are those that are especially popular with gardeners, confectioners and chefs. These varieties include Zagorievskaya cherry.
Description of the variety Zagorievskaya
This variety was bred at the All-Russian Institute of Breeding and Technology for Nursery and Horticulture by crossing the varieties Black Consumer Goods and Lyubskaya Cherry. Unfortunately, the exact date of Zagorievskaya's birth is not known. The variety was never entered into the State Register. That, however, does not detract from its merits, and, accordingly, popularity among gardeners.
Zagorievskaya cherry is frost-resistant. But in regions with a harsh climate, it requires shelter for the winter with humus, peat, straw or spruce branches. In addition, in areas that are characterized by severe frosts, the yield of the variety decreases. This is due to the fact that cherry blossom buds freeze through. However, in snowy winters, gardeners simply cover the trees with snow, which is not too difficult, since Zagoryevskaya is considered a stunted variety. Cherries grow up to only 3.5 meters. Has a spreading crown. Many online stores, offering seedlings for sale, describe Zagoryevskaya as a bushy tree with very dense foliage. In fact, it is difficult to name the dense crown of this cherry. Thickening of foliage, often entailing a number of diseases, is not typical for this variety.
The crown of this tree is spreading, but not dense.
Zagorievskaya cherry is drought-resistant. She feels great in hot climates. Does not tolerate wetlands. Therefore, they try not to plant Zagoryevskaya in clay soil, as well as near groundwater. As for the composition of the soil, cherries are not demanding on it. It grows equally well in sandy, sandy loam soil or black soil. As with any tree, for the Zagorievskaya cherry it is better to choose a site with fertile soil, which will further contribute to high yields.
This cherry variety is self-fertile. Does not require additional pollination. It gets along well with other varieties of cherries. Zagoryevskaya begins to bloom at the end of May. The fruiting period begins in the last decade of July. But in regions with a warm climate, crops can be harvested in the middle of the month. Zagoryevskaya begins to bear fruit at the age of three to four years.
Description of berries
The fragrant berries of Zagorievskaya are used to make jams, preserves, and cherry jelly. They can be eaten fresh or frozen. Compotes, pie fillings ... This is a far from complete list of everything that is made from Zagorievskaya cherries. Yes, it is versatile. One berry, on average, weighs about 3.5 g. In color and taste, Zagorievskaya resembles a sweet cherry. Sweet, tender and firm flesh with a light chocolate flavor. The juice of the berries is ocher-red, thick.
The color and taste of the berries are reminiscent of cherries. They have the same firm flesh and small bone
The cherry of this variety has a small pit. It separates easily from the pulp. A distinctive feature of Zagorievskaya is that the berries, when overripe, do not fall off. The yield of the variety is average. But with increased care, it is able to please with an abundance of fruits. According to experts, in this case, up to 13 kg of berries can be harvested from a cherry tree.
Popular variety Zagorievskaya 2
Zagoryevskaya 2 is one of the mid-early cherry varieties. It has almost the same characteristics as the Zagorievskaya variety. However, there are several significant differences:
- The crown of the tree is spherical.
- The variety is self-fertile. Zagoryevskaya 2 requires pollinators. The best varieties for her are Lyubskaya and Vladimirskaya.
- Unlike Zagoryevskaya, this variety is moderately resistant to fungi.
- The berries of this variety are larger than those of the Zagorievskaya cherry, and reach 5.5 g.
- Fruiting occurs on last year's increments.
Cherries, like other fruit trees, can be planted in spring and fall. Landings in warm and cold seasons differ slightly.
Before starting planting, choose a healthy strong seedling with a developed root system. The roots of the tree must not be damaged.
We plant cherries in spring
Before we start planting cherries, we must select a site for the tree. Cherry is light-requiring, so we try to identify it in a place well-lit by the sun. Also, no apple trees should be growing nearby. A young cherry planted next to this tree will quickly dry up, as the apple tree will begin to fight for a place in the sun. The powerful roots of the apple tree, creeping to the sides under the ground, will not allow the cherry to root normally, and later will deprive it of the necessary microelements. As a result, the cherry sapling will hurt and then die.
- Having decided on the landing site, we dig a hole 40-50 cm deep. The diameter of the hole should be about 80 cm.
The depth of the planting pit should be 40 cm
- Pour 30 g of superphosphate at the bottom of the pit. Mix with the soil.
- Add compost and peat to the mixture in a 1: 1 ratio.
A reddish brown mixture of peat and compost is necessary when planting cherries in soil devoid of essential nutrients
- Carefully put the seedling in the hole to keep a clod of earth.
We place the seedling in the hole. If the root system is open, then gently straighten the roots
- We make sure that the growth bud is on the surface of the earth.
The root collar should be on the surface
- We fill with earth the space formed between the roots of the cherry and the walls of the pit.
- We compact the soil.
The soil needs to be compacted
- Water the seedling abundantly with water.
- Mulch the soil around the cherries with straw, hay or mowed grass left over after digging a hole.
If the land on the site is not fertile, pour 10 liters of peat, 10 liters of universal soil from a garden store, 5 liters of humus, 2 kg of wood ash and 2 buckets of compost into the pit. The depth of the pit in this case must be at least 70 cm.
Video: how to plant cherries quickly and correctly in spring
How to plant cherries in the fall
We plant cherries in early autumn, before the onset of the first frost:
- We dig a hole 0.5 m deep.The diameter of the hole is 80 cm.
- We put the earth from the upper and lower layers in different heaps.
- We install a special landing peg in the center of the pit. When making a peg, it is better to use natural materials such as wood. You can take a wooden lath with a diameter of 1.5-2 cm.
The landing peg must be placed in the center of the pit.
- We fall asleep at the bottom of the pit with soil taken from above, mixed with superphosphate.
- Add a layer of fertile soil. Its thickness should be 8 cm.
- We place the seedling in the hole. The root collar (or in another way the growth bud) should be at ground level.
Planting cherries in autumn is different from spring
- Sprinkle the roots with soil taken from the lower layers.
- We compact the earth.
- Watering the seedling. For one cherry tree, we need 20 liters of water.
- Mulch the soil around the cherries.
Video: how to plant cherries in the fall
Caring for the Zagorievskaya cherry is no different from the standard one. In order for Zagoryevskaya to feel good throughout the year, you need to follow some simple rules:
- We get rid of weeds that draw useful trace elements from the soil. To significantly reduce their number, as well as to preserve the amount of moisture required for cherries, we mulch the soil. As mulch, you can use humus, straw, hay, cut grass.
- If, when planting cherries, we applied a large amount of fertilizer to the soil, then for 12 months there will be no need for fertilizing. It is only necessary to periodically loosen the soil to provide the seedling with oxygen.
The soil around the tree must be loosened so that it is saturated with oxygen
- In early autumn, around the beginning of September, we need to dig up the ground around the cherry. The depth should be no more than 10 cm, i.e. on a half bayonet of a shovel.
- In regions that are characterized by severe frosts, we cover the tree with spruce branches, straw and humus for the winter so that the cherry roots do not suffer.
- In the fall, we prune trees. With a sharp pruner, we remove dried and overlapping twigs, which Zagorievskaya has few of.
Cherry pruning is carried out in autumn
- Zagorievskaya cherry is not susceptible to many fungal diseases. But this does not mean that we absolutely need to forget about fungi. On the contrary, one should always remember about prevention. To avoid contracting such diseases, we must whitewash the trunks of the cherry in the autumn.
Cherry trunks are whitened in order to prevent the appearance of fungal diseases
- As for watering, its frequency depends on the weather conditions. One cherry usually consumes 2-3 buckets of water per watering.
One tree needs 20 liters of water per watering
- We use lime mortar as a fertilizer once every 5 years so that the acidity level of the soil returns to normal.
- Thinning of the crown of cherries is usually carried out every 5-6 years, but this procedure is not necessary if the Zagoryevskaya cherry is planted. It is enough to monitor the absence of dry and diseased branches.
Cherries are not fed only when, when planting a seedling, the soil is saturated to the limit with useful substances and microelements. In other cases, top dressing is necessary for Zagoryevskaya, as well as for any other fruit-bearing trees:
- To increase the yield of the tree, we feed it with organic matter every two years: compost, peat, humus.
- In the spring we fertilize the soil with ammonium nitrate or any other nitrogen fertilizers. We put into the soil according to the instructions.
- During the flowering period, we feed the cherry twice: at the beginning of flowering and after its end. We use nitrogen and complex fertilizers according to the instructions.
- During the fruiting period, cherries need to be fed with phosphorus preparations: Ammophos, Nitrofoska, ammonium hydrogen phosphate and others. The norm for cherries is 50–70 g of fertilizer per adult tree.
Diseases and pests
Cherry variety Zagorievskaya is very susceptible to the following diseases:
- Moniliosis. Affects cherry inflorescences. The flowers look scorched. Gradually, the disease spreads to the branches of the cherry. Cherry tops lose their foliage and dry out. Rarely, but it happens that the tree itself dies. To prevent the spread of moniliosis, we need to spray the tree with Horus, the only drug approved for use during flowering. We process the cherries twice: before the beginning of the flowering period and during the cherry blossom period.
- Anthracnose. This is exactly the type of fungus that Zagorievskaya is susceptible to. At the moment, there are no anthracnose-resistant cherry varieties at all. On cherry trees, the disease can be determined not by specks on the leaves, like in vegetable crops, but by dried berries. The berries turn black, shrivel, but do not fall off. Gardeners are familiar with this phenomenon. But for some reason they think that mummified berries are the result of direct sunlight. To deal with anthracnose, we need to get rid of dried berries, leaves and twigs. Cut off the parts of the cherry affected by anthracnose and burn. As a prophylaxis of the disease, you can spray cherries with Bordeaux liquid (1%).
Table: the most dangerous pests for cherries
Reviews of gardeners about Zagorievskaya cherry
Of the many varieties of cherries, it is worth choosing Zagoryevskaya for planting, if we need an unpretentious tree in the garden. She is not demanding on temperature extremes. Drought-resistant. Patient to severe frosts. And at the same time, it is almost not susceptible to fungal diseases. In addition to all the listed advantages, this variety pleases with its taste. What else does a gardener need to be happy? Is that a few different varietal cherries on your site. But it will not be difficult to find neighbors for any kind of cherry.
Photographer, copywriter. Work experience 8 years. Knowledge of English, German.
Rate the article:
(0 votes, average: 0 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Advantages and disadvantages of cherry
Excellent taste is a significant plus of this tomato. Strong sugar content makes cherry tomatoes an ideal ingredient for:
- decorating all kinds of dishes
- making salads
- various preservation recipes
- processing into extraordinary sauces, pastes and juices
- winter drying and drying.
Such versatility is not the only advantage of Black Cherry tomato:
- Great taste. Stored in any form.
- Exposure to weather troubles. Tomatoes cope with high temperatures and heat surges.
- Prolonged fruiting period. Practice shows: fruits ripen before autumn frosts.
- Possibility of long-term maturation of ripe and whole tomatoes: up to 1 month. at an air temperature of + 5 ... + 8 ºС.
- Good transportability.
Average yield for cherry variety. Tomatoes also have other negative characteristics:
- may crack during maturation
- the share of commercial quality tomatoes - about 50% of the total crop
- require increased attention in the garden
- need diligent pinching and maintaining their shape, in a garter to the support.
Attention! Despite the unprofitable cultivation of tomatoes in an open-air garden, which was witnessed by the originator, some gardeners choose this method and achieve success.
Features of planting and care
For good growth and fruiting of cherries, it is important that the climate of the growing region meets the requirements of the variety. Otherwise, additional care measures will be required, for example, shelter for the winter, and in some cases it is doubtful not only the yield, but also the rooting of the plant. If you grow a cherry of the Anthracite variety in the conditions of the Central region, suitable for its climate, the care of the shrub will be minimal.
When choosing a place for planting, it is worth considering the low growth of the future bush. For this cherry variety to receive enough sunlight, you need to place it away from tall trees. It is also not worth planting in an area open to all winds, it is optimal if there is a house wall or a fence on the north side of the plant.
The variety loves loose, airy soils, does not take root well and grows on heavy soils, such as clayey. Sandy loam or chernozem soil is best suited for cherries.
Planting "Anthracite" is made according to the usual principle for cherries. It is important that the seedlings are healthy and strong, and the roots in the hole are neatly straightened. Fertilizer is laid in the pit in accordance with the parameters of the soil, but lime and nitrogen fertilizers should not be put. Experienced gardeners recommend dividing the planting watering into two portions: the first is poured into the hole when the plant roots are only covered with earth, and the second when the hole is completely filled up.
Cherry varieties "Anthracite" tolerate drought well. Excess watering is no less harmful for her than water shortage. If there is an average rainfall during the summer, additional watering is not required. But, as with other varieties of cherries, drought during periods after flowering and at the beginning of fruit growth can negatively affect the yield. During these periods, it is necessary to control the moisture content of the soil.
In this case, there is no need for pruning to limit the crown, but annual removal of diseased and weak branches is necessary. This will increase the flow of nutrients to the fruitful shoots and reduce the risk of pests and diseases.
To ensure a good harvest next year, it is important that the growth of shoots does not stop, since the bulk of the berries are tied precisely on last year's branches. In view of this, one-year-old shoots cannot be shortened, and a weak growth on the branches indicates the need for anti-aging pruning. In this case, the skeletal branch should be shortened to a strong lateral branch.
Top dressing is applied according to the standard scheme for cherries:
- In early spring - nitrogen fertilizers (50-70 grams of urea or nitrate per 1 bush).
- After flowering - organic fertilizing in liquid form (manure, compost).
- After 15 days, reapply organic fertilizing.
- In autumn, during digging - potash (60-80 grams) and phosphorus (150-200) fertilizers in solid form.
Due to the lack of resistance of the variety to fungal diseases, you should not use fallen leaves and branches left over from pruning as humus. It is in the litter that fungal spores often hibernate. For the same reason, it is important to ensure regular removal of weeds around the shrubbery, as well as to perform autumn digging of the soil, mixing the topsoil with wood ash.
As a treatment, standard measures are used - treatment with a 3% solution of Bordeaux liquid and spraying with fungicides in the period after harvest or in the spring before the buds swell. The treatment undertaken after the cherry blossoms start will poison the fruits, during this period only natural remedies, such as a soap-ash solution, can be used.