7 ways to store garlic at home in winter
Garlic has long been an essential ingredient in many dishes and folk recipes. In order to have fragrant and fresh heads on hand all year round, you need to know how and where to properly store them at home in the winter.
How can you store garlic at home during the winter?
There are several common storage methods for this vegetable to keep it edible until the next harvest.
As a rule, the following places are chosen for this:
- dry places in the apartment.
It is more convenient for private house owners to choose an underground floor, since there may not always be enough space in the refrigerator. The presence of a dry place in an apartment or house is perfect for placing garlic braids and bunches or hanging a net. The glassed-in balcony is a great place for "wintering" this vegetable in jars and boxes.
Storage in braids
The time-tested method is it is a braided braid made from stem-dried heads. The finished braid is left in a dark and dry room. A closet or pantry is suitable for this. Garlic braids take up very little space, but they require skill and dexterity to weave the stems together well.
Storage in bundles
The heads dried with stems are tied into a bundle with a rope and hung in a dry room. The method is practically no different from the previous one, and the beams can also act as interior decoration.
Using cans and boxes
Many people choose three-liter jars for wintering a vegetable, without filling the heads with anything. This prevents it from drying out and germinating. Banks must be placed in the refrigerator or on the balcony.
It is recommended to use sterilized jars.
To keep the garlic in the box, you need to sprinkle the bottom with salt, then lay out some of the heads, sprinkle with salt again and spread out layer by layer in this way. This option allows the vegetable to remain fresh and juicy for a long time.
This method avoids germination and the appearance of parasites. Waxing is the alternate lowering of young heads into paraffin. It forms a protective film around them, which prevents damage to the product. The shelf life in a paraffin casing can be up to six months.
Storage in bags
For this, bags made from natural materials are used. RIt is recommended to periodically go through the contents of the bagto remove spoiled heads.
To reduce the risk of mold and bacteria, you must first soak the garlic in a concentrated salt solution, let it dry, and then place it in a bag.
Refrigerated storage in a city apartment
To leave a vegetable for the winter in the refrigerator, it need to dry well, put in paper bags and put separately from other products.
To prevent spoilage in the refrigerator, it is recommended to sprinkle the contents of the bags with salt or onion peels.
Freezing and preserving
You can freeze whole peeled cloves, wrapped in foil or cling film, or finely chopped to shorten the cooking time when using them. This option is suitable for those who use the vegetable less often in cooking, since freezing changes the taste and structure of this product.
For preservation, you can use wine or vinegar. To do this, the peeled cloves are placed in a jar and poured with dry wine or white vinegar. A tightly closed jar is placed in the refrigerator. The method allows the garlic not to spoil for up to four months.
How to properly prepare a crop for storage?
Proper preparation is a guarantee that the product does not deteriorate in the winter in a city apartment.
Preparation for wintering should begin with the harvesting phase. It is important to know that there are two types of garlic that determine the timing of its collection:
- collection time: end of July;
- determination of readiness: the leaves turn yellow, the scales become thinner, the skin of the inflorescences begins to crack;
- storage temperature: + 1-3 °;
- collection time: first half of August;
- determination of readiness: the leaves turn very yellow and begin to bend over and lie on the ground;
- storage temperature: + 16-20 °.
Digging must be done carefully, since damaged heads deteriorate much faster than whole ones and are more susceptible to the development of bacteria. For this purpose, a pitchfork or a shovel is used.
After digging up, dry the garlic well. It is better to do this in the open sun. The stems must be cut off, except when braids or bundles are expected to be woven.
After harvesting, you need to get rid of all:
- damaged heads;
- rotten or infected with bacteria;
- empty heads.
Garlic that has not come up can be dried and used as a spice.
After carrying out all the above manipulations, you can start sending the vegetable for the winter.
The most important and practically the only problem that can arise during wintering is damage to the heads. It can happen for several reasons.
First of all, this is a fungal infection. This can be avoided by very careful sorting. Also, the product may deteriorate due to improper storage conditions.
Determine the spoilage allow the following signs:
- an unpleasant smell, reminiscent of overcooked garlic;
- the presence of rotten slices or whole heads.
In order for garlic to remain suitable for consumption in the winter season as long as possible, it is necessary to strictly observe the algorithm for preparing for wintering and the conditions of the method chosen for this purpose.
Storing garlic for the winter at home is pretty easy. The main thing is to follow all the preparation measures and choose the most suitable method for yourself. Having followed all the established recommendations, you can delight yourself with a tasty and juicy vegetable until the next harvest.
How to store garlic at home in winter?
Garlic is a bulbous plant that gives dishes a special piquancy and taste, and is also actively used to fight colds. Housewives often have a question: how to store garlic at home in winter? Read about this in our article.
Which garlic is best for storage - winter or summer?
Since you can store garlic for the winter in various ways, you need to choose the ideal type of harvest at home. In order not to dry out, follow the tips.
1. The summer look will last longer, it has more scales covering the lobules. They help to retain moisture in the structure.
2. The winter species dries up in a short period of time, often becomes covered with mold, rots. This feature is expressed if the humidity rises slightly or fluctuations in temperature are noticed.
3. If you decide to send a winter crop for safekeeping (it has a false stem in the middle), eat it as soon as possible. Otherwise, it will soon begin to sprout.
We dry properly
After removing the garlic from the ground, it is necessary to shake off the soil from it and spread it out to dry on the surface of the beds. The process will take about 4-5 days. If rainfall or damp weather is observed, it is recommended to harvest the crop in a well-ventilated area. It is necessary to dry the heads together with the leaves.
Since different types of garlic differ in storage time, the winter and summer varieties must be separated from each other. Spring varieties of garlic have a higher keeping quality, and winter crops are less suitable for long-term storage in winter. The latter have risks of drying out in case of insufficient moisture, mold and decay. This is explained by the smaller number of protective scales in comparison with spring varieties.
The main part of winter varieties is recommended to be planted in autumn to ripen an early harvest in the next season.
The entire harvested crop must be carefully examined for further sorting. Damaged, deformed and cracked heads are not suitable for long-term storage. If rotted and deformed specimens are left next to the rest of the crop, the likelihood of deterioration in taste and the spread of rot increases.
How to store garlic: proven methods
You can talk for a long time about all the well-known benefits garlic, its easily recognizable taste and unique medicinal properties. But how to store garlic so that it stays fresh and juicy until the very next harvest? Read several ways on tochka.net.
How to store garlic for the winter: general principles
- Before storing garlic, it is important to harvest it correctly at the right time and weather. Dig up ripe garlic with whole, not cracked heads, preferably for a waning month, in dry weather and do not water it before harvesting.
- How to store garlic after digging up? Once harvested, the garlic should be dried in the shade or under a canopy for 2 weeks. Then remove the remnants of the earth, cut off the stems and roots, and burn the remnants of the roots over a fire.
- Carefully sort through the garlic, discarding dubious heads and cloves, spoiled, damaged, with specks, dents, empty.
- Once dried, the garlic can be spread out in small portions in cardboard or wooden crates, plastic containers, wicker baskets, canvas bags, and even glass jars.
- Where to store garlic? Best of all - in a dark, dry, cool place at a temperature of 2 ° C to 5 ° C and an air humidity of 70-80%. The best would be a cellar, basement, shed, a box on the balcony or a refrigerator.
- During storage, you should monitor the condition of the garlic so that it does not deteriorate. Rotten garlic has a characteristic unpleasant odor. Soft, shriveled or spotted teeth and whole bulbs may also appear. Defective heads should be selected from the total mass.
How to properly store garlic for the winter in an old-fashioned way
- The dried heads of garlic are woven into wreaths or braids.
- Then the garlic bundles are hung in an open space in a cool, dark and dry place and stored until winter.
How to store garlic so it doesn't dry out in vegetable oil
- Peel the garlic cloves, separating the spoiled or damaged ones.
- Divide the garlic into sterilized jars.
- Pour the vegetable oil over the garlic and cover.
- Send jars of garlic to the refrigerator or cellar.
How to store garlic in salt
- Place whole, unpeeled heads of garlic in clean jars.
- Sprinkle the garlic generously with coarse salt.
- Close the jars with lids and send them to a cool place.
How to store sprouted garlic
Chives of garlic often begin to sprout from high temperature or humidity. Because of this, garlic loses its valuable properties and juiciness. Sprouted garlic will not be stored for a long time, but you can still keep it at least for a short time.
- To do this, the garlic sprouts should be cut off, and the garlic itself should be transferred to a cooler, darker and dry place.
- Watch for the emergence of new sprouts and consume such garlic in time.
How to store garlic as a condiment
You can also store the garlic in a minced form and use it as a condiment during cooking. This way of storing garlic will allow you to save time in the future for cleaning and squeezing it, as well as washing equipment.
Garlic Seasoning - Ingredients:
- 1 kg of garlic
- 200 ml of vegetable oil,
- a pinch of ground peppers
- 2 teaspoons of salt.
Garlic seasoning - preparation:
- Peel the garlic and cut off the bottom of the cloves.
- The vegetable oil is calcined and cooled.
- Mince the garlic.
- Pour in cooled oil, add salt, spices and stir.
- Place in prepared sterilized jars, cover with a lid and refrigerate.
See all the brightest and most interesting news on the main page of the women's online resource tochka.net
Subscribe to our telegram and be aware of all the most interesting and relevant news!
Basic storage methods
In general, the storage requirements for onions and garlic are similar, but there are a number of differences. There are three main ways to preserve all the valuable properties of these vegetables during the winter:
The first - the most correct, allows you to keep the bulbs and garlic heads from drying out, germination and loss of nutrients for at least 9 months. True, it is mostly suitable for industrial storage - in rooms equipped with refrigeration and ventilation systems and maintaining optimal humidity.
On an industrial scale, they use a cold storage method for onions and garlic.
Consider the ideal parameters of the content of the harvest of onions or garlic: suddenly you will be able to create them at home!
Ideal storage parameters for onions and garlic
Storage methods depend on the needs of the vegetable and its owner. Onion sets, uterine onions (for obtaining seeds) and food onions are kept in different conditions. Garlic for planting is also laid separately. But for now, we are interested in ways to preserve onions and garlic for food.
After ripening and drying in the field or under a canopy, post-harvest processing is carried out: they are cleared of the ground, the leaves are crumpled, the roots are trimmed if desired. At the same time, they are sorted: they separate the fine fraction, specimens that are damaged and with visible diseases, choosing for storage bulbs with whole covering scales and dense, non-crumbling garlic heads.
Whole garlic heads are left for storage
For long-term storage, four conditions are important.
After processing and sorting, onions and garlic are dried again - this is perhaps the most important condition for good preservation. The bulbs must be very well dried, the moisture content of the integumentary scales is no more than 16%. For this purpose, in vegetable stores, the piles are blown with warm air (+25. + 30 ° C) for 4 days.
2. Fresh air
Good ventilation is a prerequisite not only during preparation, but also during storage. There should be no stagnation of air in the storage - ventilation removes carbon dioxide formed during the respiration of vegetables and reduces the shelf life, and also prevents the formation of condensation and, as a result, the development of diseases.
At home, onions can be stored in nets.
When cold way storage temperature is maintained between –3 and 0 ° C. Spicy onion varieties are stored at a lower temperature, sweet and semi-sweet ones - from –1 to 0 ° C. Such conditions allow you to create a state of rest and minimize the respiration of vegetables, which contributes to long-term preservation - up to 270 days.
When warm way maintain a temperature of +18. + 22 ° C. Combined - assumes the organization of temperature fluctuations: first, the onions are stored at + 18 ° C, when cold weather sets in, they are reduced to -3 ° C, in the thaw they are raised again.
Both garlic and onions can be stacked in the wire rack
The optimum storage temperature for garlic is –2 ° C. In such conditions, it can be successfully kept for up to a year without significant weight loss.
If garlic and onions must be dry when storing, then a certain humidity must be maintained in the room where they are stored. With the cold method, it is 75-80%, with the warm method - 55-70%.
In our market, which brings together large online stores, you can choose onion seeds, as well as onion sets for spring or winter planting. Check out the Onion Seeds section or select onion sets.
Features of the
Winter garlic is less stored, so they try to use it faster. Spring garlic is ideal for long-term storage. It tolerates both warm and cold methods.
If the choice of the method of storing garlic at home fell on weaving it into braids, you can only use spring garlic. It is suitable for absolutely all methods, including hanging in stockings at room temperature.
Is it allowed to store onion and garlic together in winter? Store onions and garlic can be together.
The optimal packaging for this is plywood boxes. with air holes.
It is best to put onions, garlic in such boxes and place them on the insulated balcony.
You can also store onions and garlic together in linen bags soaked in salt. Cardboard boxes are also suitable for this purpose.... They should be placed in a cool place.
Thus, garlic is well kept at home. Among all the variety of methods, each housewife will find the best one for herself. Garlic is ready to lie all winter in such different conditions that for a large harvest, you can resort to several methods at once. Subject to all requirements, garlic will always be in the house.