Perennial flowers for the whole summer: the best varieties for gardening a summer cottage
Blooming plants are a real decoration of the garden, which, filling it with rich, bright colors, create a unique effect of harmony and comfort. Their variety is simply amazing: there are about 300 thousand varieties of spectacular annuals and perennials, pleasing to the eye. Choosing the design of a flower bed for the whole summer, I want to create such compositions that can be enjoyed for several months. Let's see which varieties are best suited for these purposes.
Why are perennials better than annual relatives?
Despite the fact that annuals are famous for their unique riot of colors throughout the season, many gardeners prefer long-blooming flowers. The reason for this choice is a number of advantages that perennials have, the main ones of which are:
- The ability to grow in one place without transplanting for 2-3 years.
- Frost resistant. Plants tolerate winter well and do not require much care.
- Preservation of decorative qualities throughout the season.
They are ideal for the garden: growing for years in one place, for the most part picky representatives of the plant world can safely form the basis of most mixed flower beds.
Thanks to the variety of perennial flowers, the assortment of which is represented by both herbaceous plants and shrubs, it is possible to create original compositions of a wide variety of forms.
In addition, landscaping a plot using these flowers is not only easier, but also much cheaper: already 2-3 years after planting, the plants can be safely divided to create new compositions, exchange with neighbors or sell.
The most impressive are the flower beds, grouped by plant height and placed in tiers.
The material on the design options for perennial flower beds will also be useful: https://diz-cafe.com/ozelenenie/kak-sdelat-klumbu-iz-mnogoletnikov.html
Beautiful tall perennial flowers
Tall plants can be used as a mono planting in the garden, or as a natural decoration or background when creating mixborders.
Among the most interesting tall flowers, which have not only beautiful inflorescences, but also decorative foliage, one can distinguish the stem-rose.
Powerful 1.5 meter stems are decorated with semi-double and double peony-like flowers of a wide variety of shades, ranging from pale pink to deep burgundy
The flowers of the tall, handsome tricirtis Purpool Beauty are very similar to a lily and even an orchid. The plant prefers partial shade adorns the garden with a gorgeous view from the first days of July until the very frost
The unpretentious spotted steak is unusually beautiful: on the bright burgundy 1.5 meter stems of the plant, mauve brushes bloom starting in July, the shade of which gradually changes
Since the vegetative processes in tall varieties of perennial garden plants are rather long, they reach their peak of development mainly in the second half of summer.
Read more about how to choose the best varieties of tall flowers for garden decoration: https://diz-cafe.com/ozelenenie/vysokoroslye-cvety.html
An equally spectacular addition to a flower garden can be a willow sunflower decorated with chic "saucers" with a diameter of 5-7 cm
Thickets of decorative sunflower 2.5 meters high with golden brown flowers are visible far beyond the site.
Lilac-pink clouds of small basil flowers look unusually tender
The basil bush, 1.8 meters high, is covered with pinkish balls in July and August.
In the second half of summer, golden balls of rudbeckia, elongated brushes of blue inflorescences of Veronica long-leaved, lilac thickets of fragrant lavender, juicy yellow suns of hybrid helenium will help to transform the garden.
Medium-sized handsome men
A win-win option in any garden will be perennials for a summer residence with a height of 30 to 80 cm.
Due to its incredible beauty and ease of care, the daylily and its varieties are very popular in ornamental gardening.
Absolutely picky, abundantly flowering yarrow, which has about 30 varieties, is able to delight from early June to late autumn
Rhodiola rosea has an original appearance: fleshy oval leaves act as a spectacular frame of its white and yellow flowers
You can add elegance and romance to any flower bed by supplementing it with late-flowering peony varieties.
Incredibly beautiful double flowers of various shades against the background of dark green leaves will add delicacy and splendor to the composition
Among the medium-sized plants that delight with their appearance throughout the summer, one can also distinguish: paniculate phlox, double monarda, astilba, cornflower.
Against the background of tall and medium-sized plants, refined flowers look gorgeous, reaching a height of about 30 cm.
More information about low-growing varieties of flowers for a flower bed can be found in the material: https://diz-cafe.com/ozelenenie/nizkoroslye-sorta-cvetov.html
Pansies are an ideal perennial that amazes with their original shape and incredible combination of colors: from snow-white to deep black
A continuous blanket of flowers of the most incredible shades are able to create dwarf forms of phlox
The beauty gentian, pleasing the eye with amazingly beautiful blue-blue flowers from the middle to the end of summer, amazes with its grace and splendor
The group of low-growing perennials for the whole summer also includes: spherical bushes of the soft cuff, large-flowered flax, oak sage, gypsophila paniculata, grass carnation, cinquefoil, geranium.
Rate the article:
(79 votes, average: 4.4 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Perennial shade-loving flowers and plants for the garden: a selection of the best plants
The garden plot does not always boast of having a large amount of free territory for growing flowers or other plants. Often you have to look for secluded corners where certain crops are planted. Even if these areas are constantly in the shade, do not rush to be upset, because there are a large number of plants that feel great even without direct exposure to ultraviolet rays. In this article, we will look at perennial shade-loving flowers for the garden, their features and secrets of growing.
- 1 Unpretentious perennial shade-loving flowers for the garden
- 1.1 Incredible Bletilla Orchid
- 1.2 Delicate Lilies of the Valley
- 1.3 Magic Anemones
- 1.4 Green Ferns
- 1.5 Bright Geichera
- 2 Shade-loving perennial flowers blooming all summer
- 2.1 Colorful Foxglove
- 2.2 Amazing Balsams
- 2.3 Unusual Astrances
- 2.4 Original Mimulus or Gubastic
- 2.5 Begonias of Eternal Blossoms
Interesting tall garden flowers perennials
Tall herbaceous perennial flowers enrich with their diversity, we propose to get acquainted with the most interesting and demanded representatives. Perennials not only take several years to grow, but they can produce vibrant flowers for two months or longer.
Amazing shade-loving perennials Phlox
Phlox are tall, shade-loving perennial flowers for the garden, which are perfect for decorating original flower beds. They are planted in the central places of the compositions, stunted representatives are seated around the perimeter. Thanks to this combination, it will be possible to create truly attractive landscape elements. These shade-loving perennials will look great in the center, since they are not prone to lodging, they are able to perfectly maintain their shape.
The color of the petals ranges from white to purple. The variety "Neon Jade" is very popular. It will delight you with white and green flowers. These flowers are up to 70 centimeters high. Plants prefer sunlight, they have a negative attitude to the increased level of moisture in the soil.
Another attractive variety is Cyclamen. He has large flowers, and the plant height is up to 90 centimeters. The shade of the petals is deep red, but with an interesting miniature crimson eye.
Choosing purple perennial flowers for your garden
Red perennials: the best plants to grow in the garden
Perennial shade-loving flowers and plants for the garden: a selection of the best plants
In summer, Giant Lily (Cardiocrinum giganteum) will unforgettably decorate your flowerbed when huge fragrant flowers of a white lily appear on the stems, the height of which can reach 3 meters.
The leaves are large, heart-shaped. Requires semi-shady, humid forest conditions. The small side bulbs take several years to flower. This impressive plant needs the care and attention of an experienced gardener. It thrives best in coastal areas with cool summer climates.
Another tall perennial flower is Dahlia. They can be both annual and perennial. The color of the petals is different, just like the shape of flowering plants. An interesting variety "Duet", which grows up to 1 meter in height, and in volume the open buds are up to 18 centimeters. A feature of this variety is considered to be an interesting color - bright saturated (burgundy, orange, red), which has a delicate white tip at the end.
Another extraordinary variety of the majestic Dahlia is Dahlia imperialis. Nodding flower heads 7.5-15 cm wide with radiant flowers. They can be painted in yellow, red shades. Bushes in nature reach 10 m in height, garden plants grow up to 2 meters. Abundant flowering directly depends on the conditions in which the plants are grown. To get lush flower beds with original buds, you will need to make additional fertilizing, as well as systematically water the perennials.
Dahlia lovers should also pay attention to the Nallmark variety. The buds are colored blue or light purple. The variety is distinguished by strong peduncles that are firmly held on the stems. Each bud is 5 centimeters in diameter. Such flowers are very popular, both for decorating gardens and for cutting and arranging original bouquets.
Incredible tall perennials Delphiniums
An excellent choice of tall perennials is the use of superior Delphiniums in a variety of colors. This summer garden classic will color your property in shades of blue, purple, white and pink. Thanks to this variation in shades, you can decorate the landscape design with different colors of the rainbow. The height of these bushes is up to 80 centimeters. The flowers are collected in cone-shaped inflorescences. Flowering usually falls in July and August. The culture is very resistant to temperature drop, therefore it does not need shelter.
For those looking for tall perennial flowers along the fence, we recommend paying attention to Mallows. These are common floral representatives, which are also found under the names of the stock-rose, mallow, kalachik. There are more than 30 varieties of such crops, including a huge number of perennial representatives. The most popular specimens are musky, wrinkled mallows. The height of the first varieties is up to 1 meter, their shades are pale pink. Each flower has a diameter of up to 5 centimeters. The second variety of flowers reaches a height of up to 2 meters, it is distinguished by beautiful yellow petals. The wrinkled look looks great as a hedge instead of using decorative fences. This tall yellow perennial is a great addition to interesting flower arrangements.
Lupins are charming representatives that are often found in garden art. In addition to visual qualities, this flower is also in demand due to its unique soil improvement capabilities. If you grind the stems, embed them in the soil, then aeration will significantly improve, and the soil itself will be enriched with organic matter.
Growing Lupins is easy. The main thing is to choose a site where there will be no winds. Lupins bloom in June and lasts for 30 days. Shades of petals can be yellow, there are also red, blue and purple options.
Mordovnik is a thorny plant that can conquer both people and insects with its beauty. This culture is a popular peduncle, which is distinguished by straight stems and thorny leaves. The height of the specimen is from 50 cm to 2 meters. The flowers are very interesting, have a tubular shape, beautiful blue, blue or white color. The inflorescences cannot but attract attention, since visually they look like thorny balls, in which a hedgehog seems to be hiding.
↑ Perennial flowering shrubs
If you list all the perennial shrubs, then the reader will get tired and read the article. The variety of plants allows you to choose such species that will decorate the site and will be unpretentious to care for. When choosing suitable shrubs, regional factors are also taken into account - from the amount of precipitation in the season to temperatures (both low and high).
A fragrant and very beautiful plant is often also called mock-orange. The shrub is one of the most unpretentious crops. The plant belongs to Hortensia, distributed in Asia, North America and Europe. But real jasmine comes from the subtropics, and is a climbing and evergreen plant.
- In height, a bush with a spherical crown grows up to 1-4 meters.
- The shape of the leaves is lanceolate or oval.
- Fragrant inflorescences bloom in white or cream depending on the variety. There are varieties with double flowers.
Garden jasmine blooms for a long time, up to 50 days. The flowering period is early June.
Growing jasmine, features:
- Use shrubs to form living fences.
- Jasmine grows well in illuminated areas. When planted in the shade, flowering is practically not observed.
- Garden jasmine is a winter-hardy crop, but varieties have been bred that have a low threshold of frost resistance. For example, varieties are cultivated that are not afraid of frosts down to minus 25 ° C. But the main varieties overwinter well when the temperature does not drop below -15 ° C.
- The plant requires fertile soil and abundant regular watering.
- Jasmine can be propagated in any of the ways.
Do not put the plant in the foreground in the garden. The fact is that after flowering jasmine is not very beautiful: it is a shrub with protruding branches and ordinary leaves.
There are many varieties of jasmine, but the species diversity is limited:
- Small-leaved species.A shrub with large curved leaves grows up to 1 meter in height. The inflorescences exude a strawberry aroma during flowering.
- Fluffy look.Tall, late flowering, shrub grows up to 4 m. The peculiarity of flowering is the lack of aroma in flowers.
- Coronal common view.Lush bushes reach a height of three meters. Sweetish-smelling flowers surround the leaves with a rich golden hue.
This culture is represented by either a deciduous tree or a shrub with thin branches. The viburnum has 200 species. A perennial shrub looks beautiful in any growing season.
- with large fruits
- with sweet berries
- high-yielding and medium-yielding varieties
- tall bushes-trees - up to 4 m.
- differs in dark green leaves, which have a beautiful carved shape, with the arrival of autumn, the leaves turn red-brown
- large inflorescences are painted white, flowers consist of two types - fruiting and sterile flowers
- red berries - round or oblong, with a flattened pit. The fruit tastes bitter. Ripening of berries begins in mid-September. The fruits become tasty when they are slightly frozen by the first autumn frost.
- low-growing varieties of viburnum are often used as living fences
- the shrub grows well both in the sun and in the shade, but fruiting in the shade is more scarce
- powerful root system allows viburnum to be planted on slopes and on cliffs
- the plant is planted both in autumn and spring
- viburnum prefers moist and nutritious soils
- viburnum will grow best on slightly acidic and neutral soils
High yielding, every year fruiting and frost-resistant varieties:
- Red Bunch
The plant belongs to semi-shrub crops. Potentilla bush is abundantly covered with luxurious buds. The shrub is distinguished by long flowering. Cinquefoil is covered with flowers from June until frost.
- Erect or creeping shoots, on which alternately green feathery leaves are located. The height of the bush reaches 50 cm, in diameter - up to 1 meter.
- The bush is usually covered with bright yellow flowers. Less common flowers are white, orange, pinkish or red. Berries, pubescent or glabrous, with many seeds.
- the plant is used to create low living fences when zoning the territory, in rock gardens
- Potentilla likes places lit by the sun, but it is undesirable to plant in direct sunlight
- varieties have been developed that bloom beautifully in the shade - for example, White Potentilla
- The Arctic cinquefoil variety requires acidic soils.
Such varieties are common: Red Ice, Pink Queen, Goldfinger, Merion Red Robin and others.
Spectacular, luxurious shrub will decorate any site. Many species and varieties of hydrangea with a variety of flowers have been bred. Despite the aristocratic appearance, the perennial shrub is unpretentious to care for.
Features of hydrangea:
- A shrub with erect stems grows up to 1-3 meters in height.
- The flowers are large, collected in lush inflorescences, reaching a diameter of 30 cm. The color of the flowers is from milky to deep purple.
- Bright green leaves are ovoid.
When planting a hydrangea on a plot, you need to know that you will have to admire its flowering almost the entire season: from mid-spring to early autumn.
- Hydrangea is beautiful both in composition and in single plantings.
- Saplings are planted in spring.
- Hydrangea prefers lighted areas; in partial shade, inflorescences form less and they are of a less saturated tone.
- In hot summer, the plant needs darkening.
- Drafts are dangerous to inflorescences.
- Hydrangea is not planted near tall trees.
- The plant prefers loose, humus-rich soils.
- Paniculata, often a tree-shrub reaches a height of 10 m. The plants have a dense crown, large, snow-white inflorescences.
- Large-leaved hydrangea. Inflorescences of large diameter. Varieties with a height of 4 m have been bred, varieties differ in color and shape of flowers.
- Treelike hydrangea grows up to 3 meters. Globular inflorescences of white or cream color.
One of the most popular shrubs in our country is lilac. The culture is unpretentious to care. It decorates the site with its lush flowering for almost three weeks, spreading a fascinating aroma throughout the entire district.
Lilac also has healing qualities: healing ointments, decoctions, tinctures, teas and compresses are prepared from petals, buds, leaves and bark.
- A tree-like bush, the height of the lilac depends on the variety. Wild culture grows up to 7 meters.
- The green leaves are spear-shaped. With the arrival of autumn, the leaves do not turn yellow and do not turn red, and fall green.
- The flowers are collected in pyramidal paniculate inflorescences. Petals - white, pinkish, lilac. Flowering is observed in April-May.
It has been proven that lilac leaves are capable of absorbing car exhaust and carbon dioxide. Therefore, in recent years, lilacs are increasingly planted in alleys and in city parks.
- the shrub fits perfectly both in a group composition and in a single planting
- lilac on the site can be combined with other shrubs, for example, with jasmine
- the culture is undemanding to the ground, but does not tolerate acidic soil and the proximity of groundwater
- weak bloom in partial shade
- first, a good root system is formed, then the growth of lilac begins
- shoots and root shoots thicken the shrub very much, so regular sanitary pruning is needed.
Breeders have bred a variety of varieties and species. They are all different from each other:
- shape and color of inflorescences
- petal size
- flowering period.
Among the lilacs there are such popular varieties:
- Blanche Sweet.
Many varieties created: Hyacinth, Persian, Broadleaf, Hungarian, Himalayan and other species.
The plant is not only decorative, but also medicinal. Elderberry is an unpretentious shrub, but not as popular as lilac or jasmine.
- In height, a bush with a dense and lush crown grows up to 2-6 meters. Thanks to pruning, you can form both a bush and a tree from an elderberry.
- On the branches there are odd-pinnate long (up to 30 cm) olive-colored leaves.
- Creamy or pale yellow flowers gather in inflorescences reaching a diameter of 25 cm. Elderberry blooms in mid-May.
- The drupe ripens in August. The diameter of the black berry is 7 mm. Only the black elderberry has edible berries!
- elderberry feels great in the shade
- the plant grows very quickly, which is why elderberry is highly prized in landscape design
- propagates better by layering and cuttings, worse - when dividing the bush.
- The black elderberry grows up to four meters in height. Inflorescences are yellow-green. Berries are black or greenish.
- Red elderberry. Since the species has greater winter hardiness compared to other species, this plant is often used as background bushes in mixed compositions. Yellowish flowers are collected in a paniculate inflorescence. Flowers don't smell. And the red berries are poisonous!
- The Canadian elder grows up to three meters. Inflorescences are white or yellowish-green in color. The berries are black.
Wisteria is a beautiful shrub, but due to its low resistance to frost, it is grown in the southern regions or in greenhouses.
- The culture belongs to treelike vines. Shoots often reach 15 meters in length. The branches hang down, but when there are supports, they twine around them.
- Unpaired, green leaves are found both with pubescence and without fluffy villi.
- Flowers of white, pinkish or lilac color are collected in grape-shaped inflorescences. Each inflorescence has a different length: from 10 to 80 cm. The flowering is long and abundant, with a sweetish enchanting aroma.
- The pubescent pods are poisonous fruits!
Arbors, residential buildings and terraces are decorated with wisteria. The plant is referred to as centenarians - wisteria grows up to 150 years.
- wisteria is a thermophilic plant that needs to be covered for the winter
- grown in tubs and as a standard tree
- takes root on any soil, except for swampy soil and limestone
- easier and faster to propagate with seedlings and layering
- prefers sunlit places and southern walls of buildings.
A frost-resistant variety was bred - Blue Moon. Wisteria varieties are popular among gardeners - Macrostachia, Blue Sapphire, Alba and others.
↑ Rose wrinkled
The shrub belongs to the Shipovnikov family. Refers to unpretentious plants. The bush is powerful and spreading, with red thorns. It grows up to 2-3 meters in height, which allows the wrinkled rose to be used as a living fence.
Flowering is observed in waves: three to four times per season. Flowers are collected both in inflorescences and are found on the branches one by one. The color of the petals ranges from whitish pink to bright red. The texture of the flower is both simple and terry.
- bushes can withstand severe frosts
- calmly tolerates drought, grows in a polluted environment, as well as in waterlogged soil.
Popular varieties: Queen of the North, Grothendorst, Alba, Hansa.
The culture has the appearance of a bush or tree, very popular in landscape design. The euonymus is incredibly beautiful in autumn, when the green leaves turn into bright red, yellow, purple, and burgundy. Both deciduous and evergreen species have been bred.
The leaves are decorative: they are dark green, shiny, with denticles at the edges. The flowers are not very attractive. Crimson berries are poisonous!
- the bush looks spectacular alone and in composition
- most often used euonymus in stone gardens and for decorating fences
- does not freeze in severe winters
- regular pruning is required.
- Winged compactus
The rose tree is a beautiful shrub that adorns gardens and summer cottages. The rhododendron is found as an erect and creeping shrub. There are species that grow up to 30 m! Depending on the type of flowers, both large and small, are collected in thyroid or racemose inflorescences. The color of pleasantly smelling flowers is purple, red, white, pink, lilac.
- The plant is demanding on soils: they must be loose and fertile.
- Designers plant rhododendrons in rock gardens and when decorating borders.
Many species and varieties have been bred, the most are considered frost-resistant:
- Helsinki University
- Album Novum (evergreen rhododendron)
- Nova Zembla.
Snowberry bushes are beautiful in spring, summer and autumn. The plant belongs to excellent melliferous plants. The decoration of the shrub is berries. The height of the bush varies from 25 cm to 3 meters. Small bell flowers are located in racemose or axillary inflorescences. The snowberry blooms in July-August. Poisonous berries of reddish or white color keep on the branches in winter.
- the plant is unpretentious, grows in the shade and partial shade
- planted on slopes or cliffs, as the shrub stops soil erosion
- used to create a living fence
- used for landscaping parks and summer cottages.
↑ Magonia holly
Lush Mahonia bushes decorate the site beautifully. Spreading shrub, up to 1.5 meters in height, with lush yellow inflorescences. Black and blue berries, which are used in cooking, have a good taste.
- Mahonia tolerates frost and drought well
- grows in shady places, but variegated varieties require good lighting
- can be propagated by seeds, layering and cuttings.
About 50 varieties of Mahonia have been bred. Decorative varieties: Creeping, Apollo, Japanese, Atropurpurea.
↑ Other shrubs
It is also worth noting among the bushes:
- Bubble: the bush has a spherical crown, large corrugated leaves and pinkish or white corymbose inflorescences. Flowering is observed within three weeks.
- Weigela - a low, upright shrub with a spherical crown. Pointed and oblong green or reddish leaves. All shades of red and pink, white and cream, the flowers are funnel-shaped or tubular. Flowering is observed before the leaves appear.
- Rosehip. Medium-sized shrub with clinging, hanging or creeping shoots. The branches are covered with strong thorns. They are planted both separately and in compositions. Used to create living fences.
- Hawthorn (bush height - 5-6 m). Thorny bushes form impassable living fences and needs pruning. Used as a background, for protection from the wind, in a composition with evergreen crops.
- Action. Low-rise shrub with pink or white flowers. Used when creating borders, in group compositions. The action shrub is picky about the soil, does not tolerate waterlogging.
- Budleya... The shrub is popular among gardeners for its color scheme, spreading crown and luxurious inflorescences. Budleia has two features: abundant, lush, from spring to autumn, flowering. The second feature: the simultaneous presence of buds, open flowers and fruits on the bush. The color palette is wide: shades of orange, purple, yellow, red, pink.
- Spirea... The plant is beautiful at any time of the year thanks to its decorative leaves. The height of the bush is 2 meters. Abundant flowering, small pink or white flowers are collected in large inflorescences. Depending on the species, spirea blooms in spring (April-May) or in summer (June-September).